By Matt Rouse
1.You were two weeks early.
2. You were born at 7:30 in the morning at Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach. We could look out of our window on the seventh floor and watch the boats out on the water while I held you in my arms.
3. You are Italian.
4. I would put movies on the DVD player when I would get up to feed you. You liked Lord of the Rings and The Matrix.
5. When you couldn’t sleep I would drive you around in my Ford Explorer until we ended up at Angel Stadium and we’d watch the halo to see if it was lit up.
6. You are German.
7. You liked to climb into the clothes hamper and hide in the underwear.
8. You have never played with dolls.
9. Dress however you want, even if you get teased.
10. I love your mother. The thing I love most about her is that she lives in Fullerton and I live in Huntington Beach.
11. When you were three, your golf stroke was better than mine.
12. You ask uncomfortable questions.
13. You have always been drawn to people.
14. When your mom and I broke up six years ago and I was alone with you and your sister in a Motel 6 on a Friday night because I lived in a men’s home where I couldn’t keep kids, I would sit over you after you went to sleep. I would cry and want to apologize to you, like you lost some contest and ended up with me as your father.
15. You are Irish.
17. You don’t have to look like that girl on TV.
18. You have always been good with paint.
19. You have my mother’s feet, sorry.
20. You are my favorite scientist.
21. The proudest I have ever been was the day you said to me that you liked
22. Don’t fall love in love with the first person that pays attention to you,
wait for the one who listens.
23. Brush your teeth.
24. When I told my father that you were being born, he told me to have an abortion.
When I said no, he threw me out of his house.
25. You are Latina.
27. The happiest day of my life was when you were born. The second happiest day of my life was when you were finally potty trained.
28. I like packing your lunch for school, it makes me feel responsible.
29. Money is not a suitable substitute.
30. You should treat your sister better.
31. Question it all.
32. I’m not sorry I am your father.
33. Never let anyone tell you what you can or can’t due with your body, your mind or your love.